Some newborns are cheated out of the first four hours with their birth mother and father – the window of opportunity for bonding. It is during this time, that babies make that powerful emotional connection with a parent that holds them in good stead for life.
A skin to skin connection on Mother’ s chest, for 45 minutes following birth, can minimize even the trauma of a difficult birth.
- Listening to her heartbeat
- Smelling the familiar fragrance of her body
- Hearing her comforting voice
- Feeling her gentle touch
- Looking into her eyes of love and acceptance
- And being nourished at her breast
all send messages to the brain that the infant is OK.
To be sure, the body is a miraculous machine! The brain, foreman of the body is wise and designed to make us survive and thrive!